Monday, January 27, 2014

Fruit is falling all around.....

Hola, Mamá!

How great that you got to give a talk in the ward! Have I actually ever seen you give and Dad give talks? Sing, yes. Talk.... I don't think I have. I actually gave a talk here in my ward two weeks ago. I was SUPER nervous, but afterwards a lot of people told me that I did pretty well and my Spanish really has improved A LOT. The power of the Holy Ghost really helped you understand and teach the doctrine, but I think in my case the Holy Ghost was backing me up and helping me share the doctrine in Spanish.

I'm sorry that Dad's feeling sick. Is he doing better? That really stinks!

It's funny that you asked me what I'm learning to cook here, because on Friday the Relief Society had a cooking class on how to make tartas (basically pot pies)! I'm really excited to try the recipes out when I have the time on some p-day or other. I would send you pictures, but I forgot my camera cord (again). Hermana Lino and I have also gotten really good at making spaghetti sauce from scratch, since pretty much EVERYTHING has to made from scratch here. Also, I've gotten to eat a whole lot of exotic fruit these last few weeks! People are always giving us mangoes because they have way too many, I've had mburucuya juice, which is really sour but SUPER yummy, and guayaba, which is just now coming into season. Seriously, there is so much fruit here that it fills up the gutters when it all starts to fall! We found a couple of avocado trees too, and there is currently a huge bag of limes on our table that we are going to make into limeade today. The grapes here are really different as well. they're like jelly on the inside, and you suck the middle out and spit out the skin and the seeds. The aren't at ALL like American grapes.

Transfers are tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. I haven't heard of any missionaries being left without internet, so I'm sure I'll be fine. Usually Pres. Agazzani keeps the hermanas closer to the city, but we have a TON more now, so it might change. He just opened up 5 now areas with hermanas in them. I'll let you know what happens next week!

I'm going to end this email with a huge "thank you" to you and Dad. I am realizing more and more how blessed I am to have you as my parents. Yesterday one of our less actives who is trying to reactivate pulled us aside right before sacrament meeting to tell us that his wife left him a few days ago, leaving behind her 11-year-old daughter. She was tired of the humble Paraguayan lifestyle and left for Argentina were she could earn more money and have a "better life". Sadly, this is the third time I've heard this story, too. There are two other brethren that we're working with whose wives have completely abandoned them and their families. All we can do is try to strengthen these members and encourage them to stay strong in the Gospel, despite the trials and temptations that come their way. At times it's difficult when those around us fall to the temptation of having a worldly life, but it's important to focus on the blessings that we have in our families and our homes. Thank you so much for teaching me that, Mom and Dad, and for really showing me what's important. I'm so glad that I don't feel like I ever have to worry about a situation like that. You both recognise the great blessing that is our family, and you really strive to share that with your children. Heck, I was studying the importance of family prayer the other morning and I almost started crying because that made me miss you guys! Seriously, though, thank you for doing your best to guide your children in the light of the Gospel. That alone has blessed us in SO MANY ways.

I love you guys, and I miss you!

Con cariño,
Hermana Jeppesen

      This is the mburucuya.

  This is the guayaba.

No comments:

Post a Comment